Skype for Business is an excellent solution from Microsoft. It is included in office 365 business plans. Organization admin can control skype for business users’ ability by enabling / disabling external communication. There is option that let users to add skype contacts. But, Sometimes, Users may experience that it is not working. Even, Some users may not find skype contacts add button or skype directory option when they search for new contacts. It is really an annoying problem. Unfortunately, You can’t fix it by following any normal methods. But, I’ll try to give you some advanced ways to resolve this problem.
Fix External Communication is Enabled, But Unable to Add Skype Contacts in Skype for Business:
Before proceeding to troubleshooting steps, You must recheck, Your office 355 configuration is correct for skype for business. external communication. Here are the things to follow:
- At first, Login into https://portal.office.com by your administrator account.
- Now, Go to your Admin Portal.
- Then, Navigate to Settings > Apps > Skype for Business.
- After that, Make sure that external communication is allowed here and “Let people use Skype for Business to communicate with Skype users” this option is enabled. You should check “None. All domains are allowed” or “All domains are blocked except” depends on your choice. Click on Save.
- Also, Go to Users > Active Users and click on the user name that has the problem.
- In more settings, Click on the Edit skype for business properties.
- Then, Make sure everything is OK there.
If you find everything OK, You can start troubleshooting steps.
Fix DNS Issues:
This is the primary thing you should do when you face any office 365 email or skype communication type problems. To do it –
- To fix DNS issues of office 365 domain, From your admin portal, Go to Settings > Domain. Click on your custom domain.
- Then, Click on Check DNS.
- It will detect if there is any DNS issues. If it shows some zone entries are missing, Try to add them. After that wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, Open your skype for business client software and see if you can add skype contacts.
Disable External Communication and Re-Enable:
Surprisingly, It may fix unable to add skype contacts problem. I’m not sure it will work for you or not. But, You can try it.
- First of all, Logout your account from all skype for business software (PC, Mobile, Tab etc.).
- Now, Just disable external communication for 1 or 2 hours. Then, Enable it and wait for 1 or 2 hours.
- Login into your account and see if it resolves the problem.
Fix Skype Contacts Add Button and Skype Directory Option Missing Problem by Powershell Command:
Previous steps are very basic and may work for you. But, If these fail anyway, You can try this advanced method.
- Run the following command in powershell and hit enter.
Get-CsTenant | Select TenantID
- Then, It will show you a value like a license key which is your tenant ID. Save it anywhere else. But keep it secret like password.
- Now, Run another command mentioned below. You must replace tenantID with your ID that you found a few seconds ago.
(Get-CsTenantPublicProvider -Tenant tenantID).DomainPICStatus
- Probably, You will get output like this:
Provider : WindowsLive Domain : yourdomain.com Status : PendingEnabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail : Provider : AOL Domain : yourdomain.com Status : PendingDisabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail : Provider : Yahoo Domain : yourdomain.com Status : PendingDisabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail : Provider : WindowsLive Domain : yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com Status : PendingEnabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail : Provider : AOL Domain : yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com Status : PendingDisabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail : Provider : Yahoo Domain : yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com Status : PendingDisabled TimeStamp : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Detail :
- If you see anything similar to this, You can run the following command and wait for a few hours until your problem is solved.
Set-CsTenantPublicProvider -Tenant "tenantID" -Provider "WindowsLive","AOL","Yahoo"
- After a few minutes or hours, You should be able to add external skype contacts in your skype for business account.
source: Microsoft Community
Last Things to Do:
I think, You won’t need to look for other solution in order to fix skype contacts adding issue. If you still experience the problem, In that case, You can run the “(Get-CsTenantPublicProvider -Tenant tenantID).DomainPICStatus” to check the status. You may find the outputs similar to that one i mentioned before. If it happens, Try to post on microsoft answer forum to get help from community moderator or staff.
Thank you have visited this post Fix Skype Contact Adding Issue in Skype For Business. I wish this post can be useful for you… 🙂