A savvy user always try to keep his/her windows PC up to date. Because, Updates are very important. But, What you should do when windows updates fail? This article aims to provide some useful tips to handle that situation.
Windows updates are very important for a windows operating system. Microsoft regularly provides security patches, bug fixes and feature improvements through regular updates and new features through major updates. Sometimes, These updates may fail in your computer. It means the whole update process my stop installing or downloading with a failure message. Sometimes, The update failure happens repeatedly which may force you to consider re-installing windows. Again, You may face various problems after updating windows. Anyway, You can get rid of update failure problem easily, if you follow some tactics.
Why A Windows Update May Fail:
There are actually various things that can interrupt windows update process. Network problem, third-party services, antivirus or firewall are some common reasons behind windows update failure. Corrupted update files also can be a reason behind this failure. Else, If you have an old machine, Windows update may not go through right way. However, You should know how to handle windows update failure.
What to Do When Windows Updates Fail:
Well there are general things to do that can help you. But, You will have to do things by understanding the situations. If windows update process is interrupted by error codes or error messages, the solutions are different. If you see failure message while configuring windows update or installing before startup, you will need some unique solutions. But, If your PC becomes unstable after updating, the situation is different. Now, You will know about the solutions for these situations.
1. Fix Windows Update Process Interrupted by Errors or Something Else:
If you notice that your windows update process has been stopped by showing you an error message or failure message, you will have to find out which programs or services are responsible behind it. But, I know it will be really hard to find the culprit. So, You can perform clean boot and try to update. In clean boot, You should not face any update errors. But, If you still notice that windows update has just stopped, you should do additional things. These are –
- Run windows update troubleshooter. To do it, go to settings > update & security > troubleshoot > windows update. If you are not using windows 10, you should find all troubleshooters in Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Troubleshooting.
- If troubleshooter doesn’t help, Try to reset software distribution folder.
- You also can reset catroot2 folder in order to fix update issues.
2. Steps for Failure configuring Windows updates:
Probably you are very much familiar with the following message:
Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer
When you restart windows to finish windows update installation, this type of error messages may appear. It happens due to an internal error or corrupted windows update files. Anyway, You can do following things to get rid of this problem.
- At first wait until restart. Then, Perform clean boot like before and update your PC.
- If clean boot doesn’t help, Run update troubleshooter.
- You also should remove all removable media from your PC like pendrive, DVD etc. Then, Try to update windows.
- If none of these work, try to restore windows to a previous restore point.
- You can reinstall windows if nothing helps.
3. Try These Fixes If Windows Become Unstable After Update:
Probably, Windows update has been successfully installed in your PC. But, You have started facing various performance issues and bugs after that specific update. In that case, You can do some particular things to overcome this situation.
- After windows update, you also should update drivers in your PC. It may resolve various problems after a major windows update.
- If any windows update affect your PC performance, You can uninstall that problematic update. To do it, navigate to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Then, click on View Installed Updates. Then, Uninstall the specific update from your PC. Hopefully, It will solve the problem.
- If previous suggestions don’t help, You can perform system restore.
- Some major updates like windows 10 anniversary or creators update may create problems in your PC. In that case, You can easily roll back to previous build. To do it, just go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Then, You may see Go back to previous version of windows 10 or something like it. Click on Get Started under that section and follow on screen instructions.
These are primary solutions when windows updates fail. But, You also should make sure you are not using any problematic antivirus and your internet connection is stable. Because, These things also can be reasons behind any update related issues. Anyway, I hope these suggestion will help you.
Thank you have visited this post, I wish this post which discuss about Things to Do When Windows Updates Fail can be useful for you.